[Wikipedia-l] Re: I want to start a new language... with the code"eg" please.

Peter Gervai grin at tolna.net
Wed May 19 08:34:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:40:30AM +0100, Timwi wrote:

> only arguments that actually oppose the introduction of a Klingon
> Wikipedia are (a) copyright problems (which we've established numerous
> times isn't an issue) and (b) reputation problems (which is a really
> dumb argument for keeping Toki Pona).

c) as far as I know Unicode (or at least that supported bottom 16 bit wide
part of it) does not support klingon glyphs, therefore it is pretty
impossible to actually display a klingon wikipedia for anyone not
specifically had installed the required customised fonts. I do not believe
in transliterated documents (do chinese want pinyin wikipedia? I doubt it).

Let there be a separate project for conlangs. Let there be a technically
good way (this addresses brion :)) to be able to 'promote' a mere conlang to
a wikipedia if it reaches some acceptable standard of quality and quantity
of the articles. This way everyone's happy: you can start an encyclopedia in
your favourite conlang, and if you don't gather followers, it'll just sit
there silently and not disturbing wikipedia; if your language springs up in
the air and moves half a continent of followers then great, let's convert it
to a real, separate wikipedia.

my 0.02 euros.

grin