[Wikipedia-l] Re: I want to start a new language... with the code"eg" please.

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue May 18 14:17:50 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:
> >(1) the language is a joke or vanity project  [...]
> >For example, it would be bad to have a Klingon Wikipedia, I think.
>
> I totally don't get this. You call Klingon a "joke project" when it has
> a strong following, widespread enthusiasm, a complete grammar and
> vocabulary, etc., but then you allow something like Toki Pona, which is
> hardly even a language and arouses interest solely by being very much
> indistinguishable from a joke.

I think our policy has been ad hoc and inconsistent, but really I had
nothing to do with Toki Pona.

I don't think that Klingon is a joke project.  It's something of a
cultural phenomenon.  I would not be *adamantly* opposed to a Klingon
Wikipedia, even though I do think it would be bad.  The main upside
that I can see is that it gives me something funny to say to
reporters, who will very much enjoy writing about that fact.

http://tokipona.wikipedia.org/ shows 1 change in the last 7 days, and
only a few changes in the past few months.  I am not opposed to
keeping it as a courtesy to the people who are using it, but I am also
not opposed to getting rid of it if it is causing feelings of
unfairness.

--Jimbo