[Wikipedia-l] Re: I want to start a new language... with the code"eg" please.

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon May 17 21:59:08 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
> >> (1) the language is a joke or vanity project  [...]
>> For example, it would be bad to have a Klingon Wikipedia, I think.
>
> I totally don't get this. You call Klingon a "joke project" when it has
> a strong following, widespread enthusiasm, a complete grammar and
> vocabulary, etc., but then you allow something like Toki Pona, which is
> hardly even a language and arouses interest solely by being very much
> indistinguishable from a joke.
>
> I don't understand this.

I'm not sure what you think Jimmy had to do with that. I added Toki Pona
since it was asked for several times without objections that I noticed,
then afterwards several people objected strenuously on the mailing
lists. So, we've put off any further 'young conlang' additions to the
main Wikipedia project pending more conclusive resolution. (As a partial
measure, the Toki Pona wiki was moved from a faux language code
subdomain to a full name.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)