[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wiktionaries for all!

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon May 10 19:36:35 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> One chief reason for making these links available is to allow
>> interwiki linking from *non-wikimedia* wikis as well. By using a
>> single established prefix (WikiPedia:) you can link to any of our
>> languages without begging third party site admins to add three hundred
>> prefixes to their interwiki maps.
>

> This is a very benevolent approach. :-)   Still, the priority should be
> to make things work within the Wikimedia family.  Making it easier for
> outside should never be more than an incidental byproduct arising out of
> making things easier for ourselves.

Hardly benevolent; begging other site admins to get something I want is
a pain in the ass for me when *I* want to link things. If it helps other
people, great too. ;)

Anyway, it *already works right now* within the Wikimedia family. If
you'd like to go to extra effort to make it slightly prettier or "more
efficient", well, I expect to see your patches on wikitech-l.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)