[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wiktionaries for all!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 10 16:32:19 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:

> > [about links from wikipedia to wiktionaries]
> >
> > How am I supposed to link from hu.wikipedia to hu.wiktionary? I'd say
> > [[wiktionary:word]] but it links to http://wiktionary.org/..word
> instead.
> >
> > Additionally [[wiktionary:fi:kukkala]] should redirect to fi.wiktionary
> > which it doesn't do yet.
>
> All this is fixed now. The "Wiktionary:" prefix still links to the
> English Wiktionary, but a new "wikt:" prefix has been introduced which
> links laterally to the wiktionary of the same language. An extra
> feature has been added to MediaWiki allowing "diagonal" linking, with
> the help of redirects. A link reading [[wikt:fi:kukkala]] on the
> German Wikipedia will link to http://de.wiktionary.org/fi:Kukkala,
> which will redirect to http://fi.wiktionary.org/Kukkala .

Why would that intermediate step be needed?  The default to the English
Wiktionary should only apply when the target language cannot be easily
ascertained.  This would often be the case where the source project is
not divided into separate projects for each language.  At this time this
would be from everthing except the Wikipedias and Wiktionaries.  Other
projects with such a structure are easily conceivable, but there is no
clamour to have them.  If such a possibilty can be accomodated without
extraordinary measures, so much the better.

Ec