[Wikipedia-l] Wiktionary redirects (was Re: Wiktionaries for all!)

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 02:01:27 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber wrote:
> Timwi wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that is such a good idea, performance-wise... ideally, it
>> should go straight to the correct URL. People would otherwise
>> constantly use "Copy link to clipboard" on these links and fill the
>> web with nonsense links like http://de.wiktionary.org/fi:Kukkala, and
>> we would forever have to keep the redirects working. They are starting
>> to become a little difficult to keep track of, and I'm afraid it's
>> only a matter of time until we will inadvertantly create an infinite
>> loop of redirects somewhere.
>

> One chief reason for making these links available is to allow interwiki
> linking from *non-wikimedia* wikis as well. By using a single
> established prefix (WikiPedia:) you can link to any of our languages
> without begging third party site admins to add three hundred prefixes to
> their interwiki maps.
>
> It would be nice to use the "real" URLs directly on our own wikis, of
> course, for the reasons you mention.

Brion is exactly right. The redirect mechanism was necessary for
supporting external wikis. In time we may code a more efficient solution
for local wikis. However there are glaring inefficiencies in MediaWiki
which may be addressed first.

Note that this redirect feature was previously implemented in the apache
configuration files using rewrite rules. There were no rewrite rules for
Wiktionary, so instead of adding more, I generalised the mechanism by
moving it to MediaWiki, taking advantage of the existing interwiki table
to obtain URLs. Thus, it will now work on any wiki farm regardless of
apache configuration. It will even work on wiki farms where the prefixes
correspond to different directories under the same hostname.

-- Tim Starling