[Wikipedia-l] language limited funding/donation

Gabriel Wicke lists at wikidev.net
Sat May 8 15:45:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 14:47 +0200, Alex Regh wrote:

> I don't know how they work, but I guess they have to have some mechanism for
> the feedback, too. A distributed cache for reading would probably be helpfull
> already, and in the long term it might make sense to distribute the databases,
> too. After all, why should chinese and arabian (for example) entries have to
> cross an ocean to get edited, those WPs are probably read there a lot more
> than in America or Europe, too.

More caching is planned for logged-in users and caching parts of a page
using ESI (http://www.esi.org) which is the main technology used and
partly developed by Akamai. Squid3 supports it, the new xhtml is
structured to simplify this, see the html comments at
http://test.wikipedia.org for some info on this.

There's still heaps of work to be done to ESI-enable MediaWiki:
* providing an efficient way to do the partial views
* purging parts
* maybe translating templates to ESI snippets as well to make the easily
purgeable
* Squid3 with esi/epoll stability testing)

Anybody wishing to help is welcome of course- the more hands, the
quicker this will happen.
--
Gabriel Wicke