[Wikipedia-l] Information

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 5 11:18:03 UTC 2004

Anthere-

first, a note: please use foundation-l for project wide discussions.

> I personally do not think adding a "real name" field

I also think it is unnecessary, especially in light of the fact that many
thousands of edits are merely assigned to numbers.

Mostly I want to keep the sign-up form as simple as possible. But I have
no problem with Wikitravel activating it. Of course we must be wary of
"feature clutter".

> * instead of writing "will be down in a few minutes", writing something a
> bit more specific

That's of course desirable, but oftentimes specifics will not be
available, and sometimes shit happens without anyone expecting it. We seem
to be particularly unlucky when it comes to server stability.

However, it will be difficult to have both - informative *and*
internationalized messages. Because I don't think we can get someone to
translate "There are problems with the Squid proxy server on coronelli, a
new machine is being set up and will hopefully be installed by 20:00 UTC;
in the meantime, cached pages will remain available" into Maori within 5
minutes (just making up an example, don't know what the actual problem was
today).

> Recently, I looked at the bug report on fr:, and I saw an awful mess, that
> was going up to october 2002, where we were switched to phase III. There was
> no way to know what was still valid, and what was not (it has been cleaned
> now).

Not sure what you mean here, bugs are managed using the SourceForge bug
tracker and closed when fixed.

Regards,

Erik