[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wiktionaries for all!

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 03:13:00 UTC 2004

Peter Gervai wrote:

> Please fix MediaWiki:All messages generator script as it links to
> wikipedia.org and not wiktionary.org.

Actually the script wasn't used to generate those pages, they were just
copied from the associated wikipedias.

 > [about links from wikipedia to wiktionaries]
 >

 > How am I supposed to link from hu.wikipedia to hu.wiktionary? I'd say
 > [[wiktionary:word]] but it links to http://wiktionary.org/..word instead.
 >
 > Additionally [[wiktionary:fi:kukkala]] should redirect to fi.wiktionary
 > which it doesn't do yet.

All this is fixed now. The "Wiktionary:" prefix still links to the
English Wiktionary, but a new "wikt:" prefix has been introduced which
links laterally to the wiktionary of the same language. An extra feature
has been added to MediaWiki allowing "diagonal" linking, with the help
of redirects. A link reading [[wikt:fi:kukkala]] on the German Wikipedia
will link to http://de.wiktionary.org/fi:Kukkala, which will redirect to
http://fi.wiktionary.org/Kukkala .

 > Which language.php does it use? It should be updated as well.

It uses the same language as the associated Wikipedia

 > Which list shall I use for further questions?

It's probably more relevant to foundation-l.

Tomasz Sienicki wrote
 > While it works on some wiktionaries, it doesn't on pl.wiktionary.org
 >
 > [[w:entry]] points to www.wikipedia.org (should be pl.wikipedia)
 > [[de:entry]] points to de.wikipedia (should be de.wiktionary).

This was just a caching problem.

 > [[Wikipedia:de:entry]] does not work at all

Fixed as noted above.

 > Also, the updated lng file for the Polish Wiktionary was uploaded to
 > http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/LanguageWiktionaryPL.php a month ago.

I'll look into that.

-- Tim Starling