[Wikipedia-l] Re: Legal challenge from Enforcer

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 03:58:31 UTC 2004

"Enforcer" appears to be Bird, not 142. And as far as I can see he's not
making a legal challenge or encouraging anyone to do the same, he's
encouraging people to complain to the relevant regulatory body. That's his
right and I wish him luck. Wikimedia is a serious organisation and can't be
intimidated every time some disgruntled user calls the cops. If Wikimedia
really was breaking the law (and I accept Jimbo's assurance that it is not),
then that is a problem that I hope we would all be interested in seeing
addressed.

The idea that Bomis has editorial control over Wikipedia sounds bizarre to
most of us. Witness the edit war conducted between Erik Moeller and Tim
Shell over [[Bomis]] in mid-January 2004. Bomis can't even exert significant
editorial control over the article on itself, let alone an article about an
advertiser on a blog which is linked to by Bomis.

And I'd like to extend my thanks to Jimbo for the extraordinary amount of
time, money and effort he has put into Wikipedia. It has become a truly
extraordinary resource.

-- Tim Starling