[Wikipedia-l] List of contributors and GFDL

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat May 1 00:16:38 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

>I understood the gfdl "normal" requirement is to list
>the 5 main contributors. We probably know that we can
>define who the 5 main contributors are. Indeed, unless
>the number of contributors is below 5, there is no way
>to report with honesty the legal requirements.

The exact quote is "at least five of the principal authors of the
Document", which is significantly different from *the* 5 main contributors.

>This said, if we can't report reality, why would we
>report a group of contributors more than another ? If
>a pseudonyme wrote 95% of an article, and 5%
>officially real names corrected typos, is that really
>correct to indicate these 5 real names and not the
>pseudonyme ?

Depends on the context, but possibly not.  You'd have to somehow say
that at least 5 of those real name people are "principal authors".

>I would say it is not. Legally, that is incorrect.
>>From a community view point, that is setting a case
>which I am not sure is really positive.
>It think that it would be more correct to make random
>choice among pseudo or real names, or to choose among
>the last ones.

I think an even better solution would be to force users to give their
real name or waive their rights to attribution.   But that's just my
never humble opinion.

~~~~

err, I mean
Anthony