[Wikipedia-l] Extension syntax discussion and vote

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 28 21:59:41 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>All,
>
>please participate on:
>
>http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_Syntax
>
>We are trying to develop a standardized syntax for extensions such as the
>LaTeX extension for mathematical formulas, the upcoming hieroglyphs
>extension, the SVG extension etc.
>
>There will be a brainstorming phase until April 4, after which we will
>vote on these different proposals.
>
>This will hopefully allow us to finally start working on a generalized
>extension interface.

I don't oppose this initiative, but I when I read the meta page I was
quick to realize that many of the proposals were beyond my
comprehension.  I would have a great deal of difficulty in arriving at
an informed vote.  I'm sure that I'm not alone in that observation.

Most of us in most subjects deal strictly with text, and a significant
number can manage the technology of uploading pictures.  The really
adventurous may be able to manage a simple HTML table.  Life should
remain as simple as possible for these people, and expanding
technological functions should not diminish their ability to contribute.

I nevertheless recognize that some subject areas require more
sophisticated approaches, and that these should be made available.  A
modularized approach may be productive.  A person interested in a
cartographic interface may not be interested in learning how to
represent mathematical formulas or musical notation.  Thus, learning one
of these extensions should be able to proceed without the need to learn
the others, even when there is significant overlap between two extensions.

Ec