[Wikipedia-l] A problem with uploading images

Hynek Hanke hanke at volny.cz
Sun Mar 14 12:29:54 UTC 2004

Hello all & happy Pi day,

I had recently some problems with uploading images to Wikipedia.
I think the interface doesn't work very well and someone of the
programmers should look at it.

I uploaded a small image of a braille calendar
(braille_calendar_cs.jpg) and everything was ok. But then I noticed it
would be much better to upload a big image and use the new image
syntax to produce a thumbdail for the [[braille]] article.

So I tried to update this picture with a larger one with the same
name by uploading the new version. But something went wrong, because
now the picture (braille_calendar_cs.jpg) has a horrible quality.
This is not caused by strict compression, it was ok on my local system.

Because I thaught that the problem is only that the first image was
of a different size, I tried to upload it under a different name.
I choosed braille_calendar_cs-2.jpg, but it didn't work. No image
is displayed on the corresponding image page. I tried to do it again
with no result. Yet the path on my local system is correct and the
image is also correct. No problems under gqview, gimp, gnome eyes.

Then I finally managed to upload the file under the name
braille_calendar_cs_2.jpg and it's finally correct. But I got the
impression that the uploading subsystem is quite buggy or not well
finished.

It would be great if some of the programmers could devote some of
its time to carefully test it and fix some of the problems.

Also, could someone please point out to me, how do I delete these
"garbage" pictures? Please don't delete them now, because they might
serve as a reference for the bug-hunters, but if something like this
happens to me in the future, I'd like to be able to clean after myself.
(Because there is a risk that someone finds the bad quality picture,
not knowing about the better variants, and uses it somewhere -- which
is highly suboptimal.)

Thank you & thanks everyone for Wikipedia!
Hynek Hanke
http://www.freebsoft.org