[Wikipedia-l] Creative Commons Licence

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Mar 4 19:25:13 UTC 2004

Jimmy-
> We do need to be careful about "fair use", because it does raise some
> potential issues for some re-users.

The truth is that since I created [[Wikipedia:Fair use]], to develop a
process to sort out fair use images where we can come up with free
replacements, nothing has changed. People are still uploading fair use
images of actors, politicians etc. where I believe it would be possible to
obtain free images.

I do think we need to put some more emphasis on the process detailed on
[[Wikipedia:Fair use]], and possibly be a bit more strict in deleting
images which do not comply with that process. However I think letting
sysops delete images without due process is not a good idea. We just need
to develop a better feel of what is acceptable and what is not. As long as
long-time regulars keep uploading questionable fair use pictures the
newbies can't learn the boundaries either.

Personally I think that the more information content or historical value
an image has, the easier fair use can be justified. I wasn't very fond of
seeing a promotional poster from "The Passion of the Christ" on the
frontpage, though, and not just because it's a pornographic movie.

Regards,

Erik