[Wikipedia-l] Re: Theora and video policy...

Marco Krohn marco.krohn at web.de
Thu Jun 24 19:06:48 UTC 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 20:37, Delirium wrote:

> legally okay, and widely available in players like winamp and xmms, and
> even the encoders, like LAME, are rather common and have not received
> legal threats.

"have not received" is not much of a guarantee for the future; wasn't it the
same with GIF? Programs using GIF had no legal problems until Unisys decided
to enforce their LZW patent.

If we want to avoid this kind of problems ogg  is IMHO a safer choice - as far
as I know they even spend quite some money to look for possible patent
infringements.

best regards,
  Marco

--