[Wikipedia-l] New Wikipedia language

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Tue Jun 15 23:11:53 UTC 2004

Kaixo!

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:43:44PM +0000, Ian Mackinnon wrote:

> I strongly request that the Traditional Chinese version of Wikipedia be
> given it's own language space, tw.wikipedia.org would be better.

No, tw.twikipedia.org is for Twi language.
"zh-tw" could be a consistent choice.

> A real good argument I can give for this is why does wikipedia have
> simple.wikipedia.org for "Simple English" instead of it being lumped into
> en.wikipedia.org?

It's not the same, the articles in en: and simple: are different, not
the same content.
The articles in zh: wikipedia are supposed to be the same on simplified
and traditional form; only some characters change (well, a lot, but
not the words).

A good comparaison would be with Serbian language, which can be written
in both latin and cyrillic, or Uzbek (but it didn't started yet), etc.
Now, in those cases, there is zero overlap, so they can coexist on a
same wikipedia if the policy is to accept both scripts;
for chinese however, there is the problem that some titles may be
written the same in traditional and simplified, and that makes hard
to disambiguate them (plus, wikimedia software didn't support (yet?)
selection of the good page when several versions of a same article
exist).

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]