[Wikipedia-l] Re: Klingon

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Wed Jun 9 15:46:43 UTC 2004

Imran Ghory wrote:

> Paramount owns the copyright to the Klingon language, the words, the
> grammar, everything.

Think about what you just said. How do you think it could possibly be
the case that individual words are copyrighted? That's impossible.
According to that logic I could write "Hompahee" here, and it would be
subject to my copyright and I could sue anyone who writes it anywhere.
Do you seriously think that is possible?

Also, as I have mentioned numerous times, the grammar of the language is
not a document, so it cannot be copyrighted. A particular document
*describing* the grammar can be copyrighted, but I can always describe
the same grammar in a different way. And even if I couldn't, there still
isn't anything stopping me from putting words together in a way that
just happens to adhere to that grammar.

What you thought was "one simple way to end this arguement", is actually
an urban myth that spreads vehemently across Klingon non-enthusiasts and
skepticists, but never gets any truer.

Timwi