[Wikipedia-l] Re: Snapshot wikipedia installations in schools

Ashar Voultoiz thoane at altern.org
Tue Jun 8 17:33:10 UTC 2004

Hello Andy

Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>   1.	Graphics	(you knew that was coming !)
>
> To determine feasibility of this, can you give me
> an idea of the size of a potential graphics archive ?
> An incremental snapshot would almost be mandatory for
> this, I think.

We currently can't distribute the image archive cause of copyright
issues. Somes images are made available under "fair use" or don't have
any license information (so they might be (c)).
The .plan is to add a license field for images that will allow us to
make 100% free image snapshot.

> 2. A daily SQL update for the main page.
>
> This will give it a newsy feel, instead of talking
> about Mandarin Chinese for two months :-) I know
> that some of the articles it refers to will not be
> available, but ... tough.

You can export the main page of en: by using the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export (might need to be logged
in). In the field just request "Main Page". It will output a xml feed
that can then be imported in your local wiki.
For import you can either use Special:Import page (available to sysops
only, might not be available in 1.2.X versions) or build a little parser
that will read the xml and put it in the database.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz