[Wikipedia-l] Fundraising

Ulrich Fuchs mail at ulrich-fuchs.de
Mon Jun 7 13:08:13 UTC 2004

Am Montag, 7. Juni 2004 14:10 schrieb Jimmy Wales:
> We need to start fundraising again, and at least for today, we should
> have a link up on the 'wikipedia is dead' page to the donations page
> on the wikimedia website.  I am sure people will contribute at a time
> like this.

Sorry, but I believe this is a very bad idea. We had a similar action last
christmas and that generated very bad feelings. It has an haugut of
"Wikipedia is putting there servers down to raise money". That isn't the case
of course, but people will think it is.

Furthermore our problem shouldn't be the hardware any more. When we are not
able to get a simple second database server to work since a half year now,
it's not the hardware. The server wasn't brought down by too much traffic.
Either we by the wrong hardware, or it's badly configured, or we have the
wrong software because it doesn't scale. Then we should think about software,
not about hardware. The bottlenecks is not the hardware. Sorry to say this,
but there was enough money to get this thing running. Probably we spent it
the wrong way.

Uli