[Wikipedia-l] Re: Statement of principles

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 05:47:03 UTC 2004

Evan Prodromou wrote:

>    MS> I would interpret this as saying that Wikipedia content should
>    MS> be independent of, and normally not discuss, internal
>    MS> Wikipedia/Wikimedia politics and management issues. The
>    MS> primary forum for that discussion should be the mailing lists.
>
>Wha...? Not the Wikipedia: namespace or meta.w.o? I guess I need to
>read up some more.
>
>~ESP

Well, I was referring to whether regular Wikipedia articles should
discuss internal issues, not to the Wikipedia: namespace or the Meta
site. I could have included those with the mailing lists to be more
complete. But part of my point was that I don't believe that this
principle will always apply. If (when) Wikipedia reaches a certain
point, some internal issues may have to be discussed in the encyclopedia
portion because they're significant enough. Just the same way that the
New York Times had to report about itself in the Jayson Blair fiasco.
It's a tough judgment to make, and sometimes nearly impossible to do
NPOV, but you can't pretend it doesn't exist either.

--Michael Snow