[Wikipedia-l] why an average person would wish to ruin a good article?

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Jan 30 21:01:03 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

>You're changing the subject. Which is that an excellent article written by a
>knowledgable person which CONFORMS TO THE ACCEPTED CANON OF KNOWLEDGE can be
>trashed back to the level of what the average users remember from their
>undergraduate courses.

That I'll agree is true.  There are plenty of fields where the state of
the art has advanced considerably in the past 10-20 years, but where the
general state of education in the field is still mostly teaching the
state of the art circa 10-20 years ago.  In those cases someone who
knows what they're talking about will have to insist that it stay with
the updated version, even if the newer material is only taught in
graduate courses--as long as there are references to it indeed being the
current state of the field.

-Mark