[Wikipedia-l] Sysop SQL queries disabled

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 28 02:49:59 UTC 2004

At 01:44 PM 1/26/2004 -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
>Sysop SQL queries on the database are now disabled. If people have an
>urgent need to perform queries and know what they're doing, we may be able
>to open up access on an individual basis, but please be aware that SQL
>offers many ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

The only times I've ever used SQL queries have been as a way to do
specialized searches of article text, for example a searching for strings
or for specific wiki or HTML markup. Also to do searches with boolean
terms. Would it be possible to create some sort of "power search" function
that allows only "safe" SQL queries like that?