[Wikipedia-l] Re: Time to set up Wikimedia ProjectCommittees

Nicolas Weeger nweeger at noos.fr
Tue Jan 27 22:58:41 UTC 2004

Thank you, Anthere, for stating so clearly everything :)
Just making a few comments here & there, please take'em as my own views on things.

> For example: rather than trust humans to correctly identify "regulars",
> we must use a simple, transparent, and open algorithm, so that people
> are automatically given full privileges once they have been around the
> community for a very short period of time. The process should be
> virtually invisible for newcomers, so that they do not have to do
> anything to start contributing to the community.

The only issue i can see is that, if the algorithm is opened, you may be sure
some people will try to abuse it. So better make sure it's really working :)

> 4. Any changes to the software must be gradual and reversible. We need
> to make sure that any changes contribute positively to the community, as
> ultimately determined by me, in full consultation with the community
> consensus.

Gradual yes. Reversible, really depends. A database format change, for instance,
can be pretty hard to reverse. Ultimately, yes, as long it contributes to the
community as a whole, it's a Good Thing to improve the software.

> 5. The GNU FDL license, the openness and _viral_ nature of it, are
> fundamental to the longterm success of the site. Anyone who wants to use
> our content in a closed proprietary manner must be challenged. We must
> adhere very strictly to both the letter and spirit of the license.

Spirit rather than letter, i would say. Because how for instance do you identify
the 5 main contributors of an article? Pretty hard question, isn't it? <grin>
I think we need to discuss on a case basis, when a potential violation is spotted.

> 6. The mailing list will remain open, well-advertised, and will be
> regarded as the place for meta-discussions about the nature of
> Wikipedia. Very limited meta-discussion of the nature of the Wikipedia
> should be placed on the site itself. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. The
> topic of Wikipedia articles should always look outward not inward at the
> Wikipedia itself.

Hum. If the topic is a concern for only one language, i think the best place to
discuss it is on the language's wikipedia itself. Because you can be sure all
contributors have access to it. On mailing lists means some people will just not
subscribe.
International matters, some main channel must be decided, whether it is
Metawiki, mailing lists, smoke signals, whatever :)

Nicolas 'Ryo'