[Wikipedia-l] Sysop SQL queries disabled

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jan 27 11:00:51 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, I had disabled them already. Why were they re-
> enabled? Sysop SQL queries are a bad, bad idea until we have timeouts.
> Yes, openness is good, but wikis work because users cannot do any lasting
> damage. Open SQL queries without timeouts are like a wiki without a page
> history.

Yes, I agree.

Perhaps when we have the new cluster fully functional, and so long as
we have extra 'horsepower' available, we can have a machine running as
a 'hot spare' backup, not used for anything other than being a hot
spare, and we can direct sysop sql queries there.  If that backup
machine is bogged down for awhile, it's probably no big deal.

--Jimbo