[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Ivo Köthnig koethnig at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 27 06:38:21 UTC 2004

Re: [Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Von:
Ivo Köthnig <koethnig at web.de> (by way of Ivo Köthnig <koethnig at web.de>)

An:
wikipedia-l at wikimedia.org

Datum:
Heute 02:21:03

> > The actual plan is to call it
> >
> >    "Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens",
> >
> > that nearly means
> >
> >    "Wikimedia Germany - society for promotion of free knowledge".
> >
> > "Friends of wikipedia e.V." and several other variants was discussed but
> > for some reasons not wished by the majority.
>
> I request two things --
>
> 1.  Ask the majority to reconsider, and give them good reasons for it.
>
> 2.  Wait on actually forming anything at least until we get a German
> lawyer to talk to me about all the ramifications.  If you simply MUST
> form something now, please make it very clear that it can only be a
> "friends of Wikipedia" unless it is blessed by the board of the
> existing foundation.
>
> I am very opposed to the existence of an organization of the name that
> you are favoring, done against my wishes, without my approval, and
> without any time for discussion of what it means and how it will be
> controlled.

I understand, that you are opposed, and since founding that "e.V." dont give
it any rights on the project it can not start as more than a "friends of
Wikipedia". For this reason I also would prefer a name which makes that
clear. Thus the above planed name is no option anymore for me (and I think
for most of us) if we found that e.V. now (or very soon).

There even is a chance to rename the "e.V." later if you change your opinion,
but this would need money and time again. And IMO that also would make sense
only if the "e.V." gets some rights on the project by implementing it later
as chapter in some way...

--Ivo Köthnig