[Wikipedia-l] Re: Bylaws Part IV

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 10:37:53 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge a écrit:
> Anthere wrote:
>
>> Section 4.2. WRITTEN RESIGNATION. Any member may resign from the
>> Foundation by submitting a written resignation to the Secretary. Such
>> resignation shall be effective as of the date received by the
>> Foundation, unless said resignation specifies another date. The Board
>> at its sole discretion may maintain or remove any such users account
>> from any of its projects upon such resignation.
>>
>> Wait a minute there...Why should resignation from the wikimedia
>> foundation have ANY sort of relation with the fact of being allowed to
>> contribute to Wikipedia ?
>>
>> Are we writting here that the board may have the right to erase a user
>> account from Wikipedia, just upon the argument that the user in
>> question decided to resign from the foundation ?
>>
>> Are we saying that the board of the foundation is having any power as
>> to decide who is allowed or not allowed to have an account ?
>

> Perhaps the problem here is with the words "at its sole discretion".
> Most of these accounts would be removed as a result of a request by the
> resigning person.  Placed where it is, it only applies to persons who
> have resigned.  Presumably the issue would be considered elsewhere if it
> referred to a banned user.  It is also possible that the person may wish
> to return with a different identity.  Thus someone who has been active
> in our internal politics may decide to come back with a less conspicuous
> identity and limit his edits to a few non-controversial areas without a
> lot of hassle.
>
> Ec

But that is a bit problematic I think. Any wikipedian may be, or may not
be part of the foundation, right ?

So, why is resignation as a foundation member confused with the
resignation as a wikipedian ?

I understand the intent, but...why may the board decide to remove the
account of a user upon the reason he resigned from the association ? A
resignation is a voluntary act, not the act of a banned user or a
vandal. So, it is up to the wikipedian to ask the deletion of his
account if he wishes so. No ?