[Wikipedia-l] bylaws III

Alex T. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 23:22:57 UTC 2004

From: "Ray Saintonge" <saintonge at telus.net>
> Anthere wrote:
> > What do we define as approval by the general membership ?
>
> Normally this would refer to a meeting of all members;  including this
> reference suggests that a vote at other times, such as by a general vote
> on a Meta page, would not be valid.
<..snip..>

Why can't members vote without a meeting? It says the board may vote
without a meeting in art. IV, sec. 4 then members can vote without a meeting
too.  We have already had voting on meta, there is nothing here that says
we can't continue to do that as long as some kind of balloting process is
respected.

<..snip..>
> Unfortunately, no provision has been made in the by-laws for such a
meeting.
<..snip..>

Just because it does not state anything does not mean it cannot occur,
the Board of Trustees has the authority in Art. XIX, sec. 5 to do anything
that is not inconsistent with the bylaws.

Maybe you just need to ask the Board of Trustees to pass a resolution
calling a membership meeting.

> There is also nothing in
> the by-laws to define "Board of Directors".  The simple fact that the
> term was used suggests that it is at least something different from the
> Board of Trustees.

Maybe it was a typo? There seem to be a few typos in the document.
Maybe this is why it is not signed. That would seem to indicate that it
is a draft.

Alex756