[Wikipedia-l] Time to set up Wikimedia Project Committees

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Jan 24 23:20:15 UTC 2004

On Jan 24, 2004, at 15:04, Alex T. wrote:
> Here is a proposal regarding the governance of individual Wikimedia
> projects;
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Project_Governing_Committees
>
> The idea is to give the members of each Wikipedia and all the other
> projects, the
> freedom to develop each project independently of any hierarchical
> control by
> the Board of Trustees.

Err... the members of each Wikipedia and all the projects already have
the freedom to develop each project independently of any hierachical
control by the Board of Trustees. Wikimedia exists primarily to provide
material support (ie, servers and hosting) and maintain 'brand
awareness' (the trademark, domain names), doesn't it?

Could you clarify exactly what a "governing committee" is charged with,
and what sort of authority is is meant to have for what purpose? I'm
seeing things about "content of a particular article or page on their
wiki" which sounds rather new for "committees" to be involved with
here.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)