[Wikipedia-l] Other Wikipedia associations; registering Wikimedia trademarks

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 24 23:06:43 UTC 2004

With all the discussion of forming Wikipedia organizations outside the
US, it's pretty clear that it's going to happen. Even if you could turn
back the tide now, it would happen later. As for whether they can
officially use the Wikipedia name or not, I have an idea, as a
suggestion both to Jimbo and to anyone forming such an organization.

The model I would suggest is that of the various organizations (fan
clubs, essentially) that develop for cultural phenomena like Star Wars.
Generally, they're tolerated and passively encouraged, because they help
promote the project. Even though there may be some unauthorized use of
images and logos, it's rarely necessary to interfere unless a group
starts giving the impression that it's official and actually represents
the project (in this case, Wikipedia and the foundation). This fits in
well with Jimbo's Benevolent Dictator model.

If Jimbo is concerned about competing *official* Wikipedia
organizations, I think part of the solution is to register Wikipedia as
a trademark (and Wikimedia, Wiktionary, etc.) belonging to the
foundation. Use of the names already brings some protection, but
trademark registration makes things simpler if there's a dispute.
Registration in the US should be sufficient for now. Check out the Paris
Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, which covers
international trademark protection.

I know registration has been discussed by other people (Kurt in Germany,
for example). Actually, I would recommend that nobody register any
trademarks except the Wikimedia Foundation in its official capacity. Let
Jimbo and the board take care of that; they're quite capable of handling
it, and it will prevent confusion and conflict later on.

--Michael Snow