[Wikipedia-l] Why "Wikimedia Germany", "Wikimedia France",

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 21:33:26 UTC 2004

"Wikimedia ????"
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:32:15 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
>So. I think it's a great idea to have this kind of club
>organization. Wikimedia Editors Groups could be a cool way to enjoy
>the process. Why not? Sounds like a fun thing to do -- meet up,
>promote the 'pedias, go to events (book fairs would be cool!),
>etc. It's worked great for Linux and other Free Software.

No reason not to include readers and cheerleaders, IMO. I kinda like the idea
of having Wikipedia User Groups (WUGs). :)

>But I think trying to extend this idea to create a tax haven and
>legal shield for the Wikimedia Foundation -- without much of a plan
>as to how that would happen, nor the consent of the Foundation
>itself -- is probably ill-advised.

I agree -- that is why I support setting up a chapter system like other
international organizations.
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2004-January/013905.html

Under that set-up the German WUG would be a Wikimedia chapter. When there are
several chapters in Europe, they could form a Wikimedia regional body in
Europe that each chapter must send delegates to in order to be part of.
Regional bodies would be full-blown affiliates (and thus may have their own
rep on the Wikimedia board).

Just some ideas.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)