[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 23 17:51:34 UTC 2004

Ivo Köthnig wrote:

>>I doubt that "talking" about Nazism would be illegal.  It's "promoting"
>>it that would be illegal.  One also has to consider that there are other
>>German speaking countries, like Switzerland.  If this is a serious
>>problem, rather than an imaginary one based on sombody's
>>misunderstanding, one could create an intermediate boilerplate page
>>containing something like the following:
>>

>Of course it is not illegal to talk about Nazism. Even "promoting" them is not
>illegal in most cases. But for example its illegal to lie about the holocaust
>or use some of (the old) symbols (for example the Hakenkreuz) for "promoting"
>Nazism. That means for example it is illegal to stick these symbols on you
>clothes.
>
>Since Wikipedia has one rule, called NPOV, there never will be a problem with
>that, cause it is allowed to write "who lies about the holocaust" (we ourself
>would never lie about, just talking about these lies). It even is allowed to
>have pictures with the "Hakenkreuz" since it is allowed to show them for
>example in an educational context.

Your response is reassuring, but it also seems to negate the need for
two separate German language databases.  It shows that the intent of the
person using this material is very important.  There are people who will
continue to submit bad material, but as long as we make appropriate
edits when we find it we should be safe.

I would expect that this law would also extend to certain neo-Nazis who
use other symbols that are different form though still modelled on the
"Hakenkreuz" (swastika in English).

Ec