[Wikipedia-l] Why "Wikimedia Germany", "Wikimedia France", "Wikimedia ????"

Jakob jakob.voss at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jan 23 17:22:20 UTC 2004

Walter Vermeir asked:

> A "Wikimedia" in Europa can be useful I think but is it really necessary
> to setup different organizations for all the countrys?

First answer:

Is it really necessary to setup different Wikipedias in all the languages?

Second answer:

There is a german proverb saying something like "7 Germans - one association".
Or was it about the English men forming a club? Well, it does not matter. The
fact is that people with common interests like to join.

Here in Germany there are thousands of "e.V."s - little clubs collecting stamps
or or non-profit organisations trying to improve the world. Some of the German
Wikipedians are going to found such a "e.V." targeting on making publicity and
collecting money for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects and -
last-but-not-least - having a good time together. Having a "e.V." and drinking
beer[*] together on it's meetings is something ritual in germany we do not want
to miss.

Jimbo Wales wrote:
> What I ask you to do is to *not* go ahead, not so quickly, as there is
> no particular reason to hurry.  We can spend several months exploring
> options and talking to a lawyer. Possibly my visit to Germany this
> summer would be a good target date for the launching of such a
> foundation, and I could be there to give my enthusiastic support.

As far as I can see the discussion on german wikipedia is far to long to avoid
founding *anything* in the next 2 month.

Please do not take this too serious. We have a common goal and it's all under
GNU FDL. Status of any legal associations will not make the difference.

Greetings,
  Jakob

[*] We also like wine and non-alcoholic drinks