[Wikipedia-l] Re: foundation of a German registered association

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jan 23 13:23:14 UTC 2004

Kurt Jansson wrote:
> You are absolutely right. But I find it quite funny that in all your
> future scenarios the American foundation are always the good guys, while
> you fear the international ones might only want to make money out of the
> project.

That is not my intention at all, and I apologize if it seemed that
way.  That isn't what I mean at all.

> I can imagine other scenarios, for example a take-over of the
> American foundation with the help of many faked accounts is much more
> easy than in the German "e.V." where only "real" people are allowed to
> vote.

Only real people are allowed to vote for member representatives here,
too.  That is no difference.

> I can understand your concerns, but please try to imagine that many
> people on the international Wikipedias have exactly the same kind of
> concerns about the American foundation.

Of course, we should all be concerned about such things.  And this is
why I advise that we be very cautious and careful about our
institutional arrangements.  There's no reason why we can't preserve
our ideals, while at the same time preventing inter-organizational
conflict.

--Jimbo