[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Jan 22 19:28:18 UTC 2004

Kurt Jansson wrote:
> Jimbo, is this okay for you? Do you have any wishes or worries?
> The association will support all Wikimedia projects, not just Wikipedia.
> We will support the whole international project, and transfer part of
> the donations to the foundation if this is legaly possible, but focus on
> the German-speaking projects. Of course we're not planning a fork, and
> of course there is no cabal, at least not a German one.

My concern is that unless there's some form of legal control by the
Wikimedia Foundation over such international subsidiaries, there could
be some divisiveness and heartbreak in the future.  What can we do now
to prevent such things in the future?

It would seem best to me if it is possible for the U.S. foundation to
legally open an "office" in the legal sense in Europe, either for the
entire EU or on a per-country basis.

--Jimbo