[Wikipedia-l] Re: [associates at amazon.com: Amazon.com Associatesprogram - your application approved]

b schewek schewek at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 21 15:41:10 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:16:47 -0800
To: wikipedia-l at Wikimedia.org
Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: [associates at amazon.com: Amazon.com Associatesprogram - your application approved]

> Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:
>
> We certainly are bringing Amazon no *additional* benefit by linking to
> them with an associates code.
>
> It seems to me that for Amazon haters, the following ranking makes the
> most sense...
>
> 1.  Don't link to them at all.  BEST
>
> 2.  Link to them, but make them pay.  2nd BEST
>
> 3.  Link to them for free.  WORST by FAR
>
> --Jimbo

One should differ between
*  do not link to booksellers one does not like
*  do not link to booksellers generally

There has not been one reason given so far
why WP should link to booksellers in the first place.
WP does not link to Art/Music/Video/Computer/Coin/Stamp/...
sellers as well? Maybe the whole "link to seller" idea
should be reviewed.

Schewek