[Wikipedia-l] Server update

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jan 19 14:20:27 UTC 2004

The new server (Altus 1000E) that I'm loaning to Wikipedia (I had
ordered this a few weeks ago for Bomis) did not arrive on Friday, but
is scheduled to arrive today.  Also, extra RAM for it is scheduled to
arrive today.

Depending on those two things happening correctly, of course, Jason
will be installing both machines (geoffrin plus new) for Wikipedia to
use later this afternoon.

Geoffrin, last I spoke to Jason, Saturday, is still not 100% healthy.
It will run without errors with 3 gig of RAM, but not with 4 gig of
RAM.  Jason has tried a number of different things, but what we're
most likely to do at some point is simply send it back to Penguin and
insist that they fix it or replace it or refund our money.

However, the warranty is for 3 years, so there's no particular hurry
on that front.  What we might do in the meantime is populate it with 3
gig of RAM and install it for use.  So this would give Wikipedia 2
dual opteron machines in working order, to see us through until the
new cluster arrives here and is installed.  (Scheduled ship date is
late January, and presumably it'll take a week or so to get it
installed and working.  We'd rather take *longer* to do that, so that
we can make sure it's right before switching, but of course if
Wikipedia is still limping at that time, we'll just do it.)

--Jimbo