[Wikipedia-l] Re: .eu domains perhaps?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 07:56:06 UTC 2004

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
>It's stupid to send money for nothing;

That would be true *if* we got nothing from buying .eu domains. When we
finally have a Wikimedia affiliate set-up in Europe, that organization can
promote Wikipedia rather effectively in Europe by pointing people to
http://wikipedia.eu/. The future portal at http://wikipedia.org will have
*all* wikipedia languages on it and would therefore be less effective for
Wikipedia promotion in Europe.

Given that even without translated PayPal interfaces that Euros are our second
biggest source of cash, I think that giving Wikimedia Europe the ability to
tailor their promotion efforts to Europeans would be a very good thing to do.

>also it depends on the context whether you
>think that's much money or not.

Oh please - Unless some type of high Internet tax is added, I would be very
surprised if .eu domains would be more than 25 Euros/year in two years' time.
On average every day we take-in more money than that *just* in Euros!

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)