[Wikipedia-l] French net censorship law

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 21:11:53 UTC 2004

From: "Yann Forget" <yann at forget-me.net>

> OMO the main objectives of a French subsidiary would be helping to promote
> Wikipedia and collect funds. We have already three more requests for
talks.
> And we are getting more and more interests from schools and universities.

>> --Jimbo

Yann

Such a foreign organization is more of an affiliate than a subsidiary of
Wikipedia for the purpose of assisting in the same goals as Wikipedia,
and helping to provide resources, promotion, and awareness of Wikimedia
projects.

The question of mirroring Wikipedia does raise questions dealing with
copyright, contract and extracontractual obligations (delicts in civil law
known as torts in common law) and is not necessarily related to the issue
of having international Wikipedia organizations that assist the operations
of our group (using the word group in the largest possible meaning, not
limited only to the legal implications of having a foundation that can
accept donations and support Wikipedia through various means).

Alex R. (en:user:alex756;fr:utilisateur:Alexei756)