[Wikipedia-l] .eu domains perhaps? (was: Palpal in Europe)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 04:47:30 UTC 2004

Yann wrote:
>I think that might be interesting for European people who
>want to make donations.

This is potentially great news! Do you know if they will *finally* have
translated interfaces for the major European languages soon?

Which reminds me - we really need to get the Wikipedia and Wikimedia
trademarks registered in the U.S. and in Europe so that when .eu domains
become available we can be more certain of obtaining wikipedia.eu,
wikimedia.eu and wikimediafoundation.eu. Whatever we do with those domains, I
think that it is important for us to control them (at the very least they
would make for great portals).

The proliferation of "pre-registration" sites disturbs me. Example:
http://www.domainregistry.de/eu.html

OIC, that may be a scam:
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1144248

Either way we may have to fight for .eu domains - better to have the paperwork
ready before the great .eu grab starts.

It would be nice, but from what I've read we don't *need* an official business
presence in the EU to buy .eu domains once they become available. We just
need an EU resident to act as our proxy and official .eu domain holder until
a Wikimedia Europe affiliate organization is set-up.

-- mav