[Wikipedia-l] mirror of Dutch Wikipedia

Erik van den Muijzenberg muijz at ii.nl
Fri Jan 9 13:54:22 UTC 2004

At 09:16 08-01-2004, Daniel Mayer wrote:

>They cannot say they are a partner with us because they are not. They cannot
>also use our logo without our consent, which they do not have.

I agree.

>>There is no link to the GNU-license, and the
>>pages are not stating they were copied from
>>Wikipedia.
>
>This is in clear breach of our license. Somebody should tell them what needs
>to be done in order to comply. Otherwise they cannot use any Wikipedia
>content.

Yes, I read in a list of more or less complying mirrors it
is in breach of the license.
I wrote a rough version of a polite letter, and one of our
sysops will send it to the ISP.

>>However they have a link to the original
>>page on the Wiki-server.
>
>That much is good. You may want to tell them that simply hosting the printable
>versions of the French Wikipedia will put them into GNU FDL compliance (there

Yes, but they are not interested in the French version. :-)
It's a Dutch ISP and they are copying the Dutch database.
(Apparently via a Perl-script.)

>should be a link-back, statement that the article was retrieved from
>Wikipedia, and link to the GNU FDL on each printable page).

So I understood. Strange enough, not everyone on our Dutch
mailinglist agrees. But  we will warn this Dutch ISP
nevertheless.

Thank you for your mail.

grtz,
Erik aka Muijz