[Wikipedia-l] Donation History

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 00:44:18 UTC 2004

Jaap-
> It seems that paying for the hardware and bandwidth
> can be done by the authors, but I don't think it should.
> The readers should pay for it, either directly or by
> having to lookat/ignore advertisements.

Fundraising is perfectly fine. People will just have to get used to it.
We'll do it once a year and cover our operating costs that way. Sure,
Google text-ads aren't too bad, but if we can easily do without them, why
bother? Maybe I can even convince Jimbo to drop his silly "government
money is evil" stance. Our project is so international that it should be
possible to get EU funds.

Nobody should feel compelled to donate, and certainly no contributor. I
didn't donate a single cent and I have a perfectly clean conscience. :-)
This model of voluntary giving will become much more wide-spread. It's
called the [[gift economy]].

Regards,

Erik