[Wikipedia-l] Re: Gallery of 53 Main Pages - For quick comparison of general layouts

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Feb 29 07:44:49 UTC 2004

Michael Snow wrote:

> Erik Zachte wrote:
>
>> For a quick comparison of layouts of all 53 Main Pages have a look at
>>
>> http://eza.gemm.nl/Wikipedia/Gallery/Gallery.htm
>>
>> Complete pages are shown, captured at a virtual 1000*3000 screen
>> resolution,
>> reduced to 40% size.
>> At 40% reduction the text is hardly readable, but it gives a nice
>> comparison
>> of overall layout per wikipedia.
>>

> It's nice to see that quite a few languages are getting images on
> their main pages. I wish I knew enough, or any, Romanian, to
> understand how that picture of two frying pans got featured.

I was curious about this too.  They are currently translating the
general Cooking article from the French Wikipedia, and they are using
the picture to illustrate that article.  The picture was not in the
original French article.

> ZH appears to have picked up EN's new layout (or did we get it from
> them?). I particularly enjoy seeing the right-to-left layouts in
> Hebrew and Arabic.

Something of this sort could be used in the new print version to
illustrate the scope of the project.

Ec