[Wikipedia-l] Re: WikiGIS perhaps? (was: Mapping complement toWikipedia?)

Jeff Meyer jeff at gwhat.org
Sat Feb 28 08:59:37 UTC 2004

Hi Daniel -
Isn't GRASS raster only? If so, are you thinking of that as one of several
options?
If not, cool, but will that make some interesting vector data inaccessible?
Thanks,
Jeff

"Daniel Mayer" <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:20040228035231.5119.qmail at web12826.mail.yahoo.com...
> Jeff Meyer wrote
> >The plan is to deliver an easily searchable repository (content &
searchable
> >clearinghouse) of quality map content to cover the entirety of human
> >history. Along with it would be a freely distributable, open source map
> >player. People could then link their existing maps, add modifications,
build
> >new map content, etc.
>
> I happen to be finishing up my GIS credentials and geography/cartography
degree
> right now and was thinking about playing around with the free software
GRASS
> GIS program this summer. See http://grass.baylor.edu/ and the GRASS Wiki
> http://grass.itc.it/wiki2/
>
> It would be neat to tie GRASS into MediaWiki for map creation. I'll see if
> can get that to work later this year (at least for creating simple maps).
>
> There is a whole bunch of public domain GIS data out there (mostly in the
> U.S....). It would eventually be neat to have a place to do GIS editing on
the
> Internet to help maintain and extend those data. As it is, the public
domain
> GIS material created by the U.S. government is made into proprietary
products
> by GIS firms who clean up, extend, and then sell the data. AFAIK there is
no
> free content alternative.
>
> WikiGIS perhaps? I better snag that one... Done.  WikiGIS.org and
WIkiGIS.com