[Wikipedia-l] Re: New "GNU Free Media Licence"? - was: What would Richard Stallman say?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Feb 24 17:52:13 UTC 2004

    So I can state that there hasn`t been a discussion about a special GNU licence
    for pictures yet and nobody dissagreed that there is probably a need for one.

I don't think that the question of a "license for images" is a
well-posed question.  The ethical requirements depend more on the
purpose of the work (entertainment or education, say) than on the
medium (image or text, say).  Images in textbooks should be free,
including the freedom to publish modified versions, and the GFDL is a
good license to use.

Images meant for entertainment are a different issue, and I would
probably recommend using one of the Creative Commons licenses for
them.

There is no difficulty in including images in a GFDL-covered work.  It
isn't necessary to mention images specifically in the license because
the same conditions apply to text, images, and whatever else the work
may contain.