[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Gareth Owen wiki at gwowen.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 14:34:05 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> For famous people, I think it's generally not true that contributors can't
> take pictures of them.

Thats true.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Otway for example (small
values of "famous", sure), but it only goes so far.

We don't want a drawing of the protester in front of the Tiananmen tanks.

We don't want a sketch of Dolly the Sheep, but she doesn't make a lot of
personal appearances these days (would a clone do?)

Must we really wait the 100 odd years until these fall into the public domain?

We now know what RMS would say, and he seemed more positive about Fair Use
provision than it has been suggested he would be.
--
Gareth Owen
"Wikipedia does rock.  By the count on the "brilliant prose" page, there