nonfree.wikipedia.org (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Feb 20 05:34:04 UTC 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 21:08, Delirium wrote:
> There is the aggregation defense that has been alluded to, but I think
> inserting an image in-line in an article is clearly making it part of
> the article as one work, not merely distributing it on the same
> medium.  If all the images were on separate pages (as in an appendix,
> perhaps), then that'd be another matter.

On that note, a question for the folks who aren't willing to give up
"fair use images": would an 'appendix' system be acceptable to you?

What I'm envisioning is an associated site to which non-PD non-GFDL
but-probably-ok-under-fair-use-for-a-non-profit-encyclopedia could be
uploaded and linked _from there_ to Wikipedia article names. The page
display on *.wikipedia.org could see when there's an associated page
and include a more or less prominent link to the photo/media page. (For
those familiar with Ward's Wiki, this would be similar to how
SisterSites links work.)

To summarize:
* images which can only be justified as "fair use" (for some uses, in
the US only) would not be uploaded to Wikipedia itself, embedded in
Wikipedia articles, or included in basic Wikipedia page/media dumps
* but those images could be made available through Wikimedia's sites
(for acceptably fair use, in the US) and hyperlinked to Wikipedia
articles (not inline)
* redistributors who determined the images were ok could still take them
* redistributors who might not be able to use them don't have to mess
with it

Would this be acceptable from legal, moral, and other standpoints?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)