[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Thu Feb 19 19:11:16 UTC 2004

On 19 Feb 2004, Gareth Owen wrote:

> > Fair use is illegal in many large countries outside the US.
>
> But the Wikipedia servers are not in any of those countries,
> and so this is completely irrelevant.
>
> Are we to scour the world for the most strict censorship laws
> in order to comply with those as well?
>
> That won't leave much of an encyclopedia.

That's a valid argument, and my answer is that we stop where copyright laws end
and cencorship laws start. It's pretty simple: If someone didn't explicitly
create something for WIkipedia, explicitly allow us to use it, or explicitly
make it public domain - then we don't use it.

Or in easier terms: We post whatever we make ourselves.

-- Daniel