[Wikipedia-l] trust metrics

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Feb 16 21:37:36 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber wrote:
> On the contrary it's very easy to game: create a bunch of sock puppet
> accounts to give each other feedback. On E-Bay you'd have to go to the
> trouble of faking some auctions to yourself, but not here...

That's a good point, but I think there are easy ways to deal with it.

I do agree, absolutely, that for any proposed system, dealing with the
prevention of gaming behavior is essential.

1.  The giving of feedback could be reserved to those who have gotten
at least 3 or 5 or whatever independent feedbacks.  If you're so new
that you haven't been noticed...

2.  The giving of feedback could be reserved to those who have been
around for more than X number of days, say 7, perhaps.

3.  Roundabout systems can help to a degree -- if feedback from
trusted users counts more than feedback from untrusted users, it makes
it more difficult to get a 'sock puppet circle' off the ground.

But of course your point is well-taken.  We absolutely don't want to
encourage the creation of sockpuppet accounts.  That's just stupid and
annoying.

--Jimbo