[Wikipedia-l] trust metrics

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Sun Feb 15 20:50:26 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> I am not advocating anything in this post, I'm just sharing some of my
> thoughts over the past few days.

So I add some thoughts to the idea of a trust system. I am not entirely
comfortable with the idea of rating other users - it's to easy to use as
a tool for revenge acts and I fear sysops doing at the moment necessary
tasks which annoy some users may get "punished" by such a system and
become frustrated by such bad feed back.

Another idea: a system where you can rate users, but the results are not
shown directly. Instead, a score for the articles a user worked on is
calculated. the results are printed on the article page, such that you
can see: on this article worked people with a very high (or low) rating.

Connect this with a real "web of trust", i.e. ratings by users which
have good ratings themselves count more - and you get a nice system to
measure the quality of our articles.

greetings,
elian