[Wikipedia-l] unnecessary "forks"

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 17:25:05 UTC 2004

--- Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> I think people are using "data" to mean different things. If it
> means language-independent data (maximum recorded length, say),
> along with a way to splice it into each language's article, then
> great, it would be just as beneficial as sharing images; each
> language WP would get consistent statistics, which would eliminate
> a major maintenance load, and speed creation of articles for all
> the languages - just mention the common taxobox, or common general
> characteristics, and boom, Bulgarian gets content just as good
> as English.

Exactly the point of the Wikimedia Commons. No reason why wikispecies.org can't
be pointed to the project page for taxobox/species relational info on the
Commons. But all encyclopedic info (such as the example Jimbo gave from
fishbase) should go into the respective wikipedia language versions. If that
info is too much detail for the main article on any species/taxon, then
[[evolution of ...]] and [[biology of ...]] articles could go into the needed
detail with summaries left at the main entry.

But a common place to have things like taxoboxes will be most useful.

-- mav